Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blog about a desktop oh yeah

When i see this image, it really strikes me how often i use technology, especially youtube, for all my musical needs. Looking at this image is almost as if i were observing myself as I watch a video. The page layout is speckled with text, and the main image of the the pianist Vladmir Horowitz gives a momentary snapshot of a much grander piece that is both eloquent and difficult. It also gives me a moment to realize that I really don't use the Internet for much else than homework, music, and the occasional online game. While I feel gratitude for technology, there is a sense of detachment from my use and the full potential of the Internet.

Composing in digital spaces is so compelling because it is one of the most direct ways to put your thoughts into a visual form. As my thoughts come to mind, my fingers make the slightest movement to initiate a thought process that becomes the sentence I have formed in my head. But the speed at which I do this is amazing because digital spaces allow an instant record of a person's idea through typing.

For anyone to better understand digital composing processes, they can familiarize themselves with how to use things like the Internet and writing applications. At one point things such as text messaging was just for teens and young adults, but many older folks (my parents included thankfully) have embraced this popular way of communicating. By adapting to new technologies and composing processes like emails, texts, and online instant messages, more people will be able to have the option to choose what type of composing they want to engage in, and there's nothing wrong with that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment